Our latest in the series of through-the-keyhole-style artist photo journals is the brilliant Robin Boyden, who we recently featured for his superb illustrated cars series....
Our ‘A day in the eyes’ feature isn’t just about invading your favourite illustrator’s homes, we also get to follow them around cool events. This weeks guest, children’s book author and illustrator Steve Antony take us to the Hay Festival of Literature and the Arts. A promotional tour for his children’s book, the wonderful and witty, The Queen’s Hat
1. I snoozed.
2. The night before, I was reading this.
3. I’m doing an event today at the Hay Festival based on my book, ‘The Queen’s Hat’ (Hodder Children’s Books).
4. The view outside my B&B just outside of Hay-on-Wye.
5. I’m too on edge to eat, so I just have melon slices for breakfast.
6. Back to my room to organise my things for the event.
7. I say bye to my contemporary room.
8. I hand in my Paul Thurlby key fob.
9. I visit Hay-on-Wye.
10. I visit a book store called Anywhere in the World.
11. They have my book, so I stay and sign a few.
12. It’s muddy and wet at the Hay Festival.
13. I walk in and meet Fritha, from my publisher.
14. She takes this photo of me.
15. I enter the Green Room and pick this up. I try to act cool by not taking any photos of famous people.
16. My venue is next to the BBC’s tent.
17. I wander to a book signing tent.
18. I listen to some music.
19. I find a happy rose.
20. I meet the Hay Festival co-ordinator, Mary Byrne.
21. Starting to get very nervous.
22. A VP of the Hay Festival and Chris Tarrant are sat next to me right now.
23. I couldn’t take any photos of my event, but Fritha did. Here’s me with Daisy & Anwen.
24. In the signing tent.
25. Tagging along with James Campbell and Mark Weighton. I’m carrying their Boyface books.
26. A quick snap of James Campbell’s hilarious stand-up show.
27. I see these warriors in the Green Room. They’re with children’s fantasy writer, Kate O’hearn.
28. It’s time to go. I head out.
29. I get a crate of red wine.
30. Goodbye, Hay Festival. It’s late now. I drive home. That was a fun day out.
Here we are... all the people who make TC tick! Browse all the articles we've written, or find out more.